[Frameworks] Readings on alternative spaces for cinema?

Kornelia Boczkowska kornelia.boczkowska at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 01:47:18 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,

There are a number of academic publications/papers, which discuss
microcinemas and alternative exhibition spaces in the context of
independent, avant-garde and experimental filmmaking - both general and
site specific. Here’s a selection that I’ve come across (perhaps some
have been already mentioned):

Scott Berry, Size matters: Microcinemas and alternative exhibition
spaces (Millennium Film Journal 41, 2003)

Santiago Vernetti, Locating the microcinema: Echo Park Film Center,
Light Industry, and Other Cinema (MA thesis, University of Southern
California, 2013)

Ben Davis, Repertory Movie Theaters of New York City: Havens for
Revivals, Indies and the Avant-Garde, 1960-1994 (McFarland, 2017)

Julia Bryan-Wilson, “Out to See Video”: EZTV's Queer Microcinema in West
Hollywood (Grey Room 56, 2014)

Kyle Conway, Small Media, Global Media: Kino and the Microcinema
Movement (Journal of Film and Video 60: 3/4, 2008)

Donna de Ville, The Microcinema Movement and Montreal (PhD dissertation,
Concordia University, 2014)

Donna de Ville, The Persistent Transience of Microcinema (in the United
States and Canada) (Film History 27: 3, 2015)

Jennifer Ann Rosales, Participatory Culture at the Echo Park Film Center
(Journal of Media Literacy Education 5: 1, 2013)

Marc Moscato, Persevering despite the impossible: a brief history of
media activism in Buffalo, NY (Jump Cut 52, 2010)

Best regards,

Kornelia

W dniu 16.12.2019 o 02:50, Chris Freeman pisze:
> Hello Frameworkers, I am looking for some help finding readings about
> alternative spaces for cinema, microcinemas, artist-run spaces,
> warehouse spaces, explorations of small DIY art communities, or maybe
> something about how experimental art forms coexist with experimental
> spaces.
>
> This would be for an undergraduate class to provide context for guest
> speakers who run alternative spaces.
>
> Hope that's not too vague, any help is appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Freeman

Kornelia Boczkowska, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Studies in Culture
Faculty of English | Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0875-9209
http://wa.amu.edu.pl/wa/boczkowska_kornelia