[Frameworks] academics and religion

Bernard Roddy roddybp0 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 17:20:38 UTC 2019

Hello, Shuhita:

Although it is not clear what kind of monograph this would be, we can
imagine it as an open question about "spirituality" in artists' practice.
Two associations come to mind: A practice like Phil Solomon's is, I think,
intensely spiritual . . to the point that one might become impatient with
it. Anything that is listening to chemistry or light, being buried and
watched at length strikes me as outside the academic agenda of technical
and pragmatic preparation for contributing to the competition. But before
this kind of durational and quasi-observational meditation on time came to
mind, it occurred to me that the personal film - by which I mean the video
diary but of a certain kind, by a certain sort of person - would initiate a
discussion into what it means to be an academic and yet to refuse a
functionalist or utilitarian outlook. What about Birgit Hein's film on
Cuba? It's not as if you will find an expressly religious testament to an
experience that cannot be codified or marketed, but the practice is itself
a manifestation of an outlook open to "the other," insisting on remaining
without a guide, without a roadmap, and thus at risk of what our pedagogue
will warn us against, precisely that.

Bernie

- - - -

Dear Frameworkers,

I want to draw on your collective wisdom for my monograph. I am
looking for examples across world cinema and television that represent
the academic space, in particular the university classroom/campus in
its overlap with spirituality/religion. Most useful would be a scene
with classroom discussions on spirituality or faith,  but really
anything in this zone
would work great. Any suggestions at all would be wonderful!

Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Shuhita.