[Frameworks] academics and religion

Shuhita Bhattacharjee shuhitab at gmail.com
Thu May 16 06:50:00 UTC 2019

Dear Bernie,

Many, many thanks for these suggestions. They are incredibly useful. I am
working on a monograph on *Postsecular Theory* and I have a chapter that
studies the modern-day classroom and its interface with faith and
spirituality. In that context, I am looking at cinema of all kinds and
television that recreates a situation such as this. Thanks once again for
the very interesting leads.

Best,
Shuhita.

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 10:51 PM Bernard Roddy <roddybp0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, Shuhita:
>
> Although it is not clear what kind of monograph this would be, we can
> imagine it as an open question about "spirituality" in artists' practice.
> Two associations come to mind: A practice like Phil Solomon's is, I think,
> intensely spiritual . . to the point that one might become impatient with
> it. Anything that is listening to chemistry or light, being buried and
> watched at length strikes me as outside the academic agenda of technical
> and pragmatic preparation for contributing to the competition. But before
> this kind of durational and quasi-observational meditation on time came to
> mind, it occurred to me that the personal film - by which I mean the video
> diary but of a certain kind, by a certain sort of person - would initiate a
> discussion into what it means to be an academic and yet to refuse a
> functionalist or utilitarian outlook. What about Birgit Hein's film on
> Cuba? It's not as if you will find an expressly religious testament to an
> experience that cannot be codified or marketed, but the practice is itself
> a manifestation of an outlook open to "the other," insisting on remaining
> without a guide, without a roadmap, and thus at risk of what our pedagogue
> will warn us against, precisely that.
>
> Bernie
>
> - - - -
>
> Dear Frameworkers,
>
> I want to draw on your collective wisdom for my monograph. I am looking for examples across world cinema and television that represent the academic space, in particular the university classroom/campus in its overlap with spirituality/religion. Most useful would be a scene with classroom discussions on spirituality or faith,  but really anything in this zone
> would work great. Any suggestions at all would be wonderful!
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
> Shuhita.

*Shuhita Bhattacharjee, PhD (University of Iowa),*
Assistant Professor,
Department of English,
Presidency University,
Kolkata, India.