[Frameworks] Laser Cutter Recs

Roger Carr rogercarr1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 00:07:43 UTC 2019

Laser cutters cut in two ways.  For some materials, like acrylic, they
vaporize the plastic.  For other materials, like wood, paper, and cloth,
they combust the material with the oxygen in the air, leaving
a characteristic black sooty edge.  Paper cuts very easily and quickly.
There is generally no problem with it catching fire, but don't walk away
from the cutter while it is cutting, and have a fire extinguisher
in the room.

Roger

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:23 PM George, Sherman <sgeorge at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Kelsey,
> Laser cutters work by generating high temperatures. That might cause
> problems cutting paper.
>
> > On Sep 21, 2019, at 6:44 PM, Kelsey Velez <kelsvelez at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello listserv,
> >
> > I’m looking for recommendations for affordable, compact laser cutters.
> I’ll be cutting through poster board. I know ya’ll use ‘em for burning off
> emulsion. Also any advice about using a laser cutter is welcome.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kelsey
>
> Sherman George
> sgeorge at ucsd.edu
> 858-229-4368

Roger Carr mobile: 510-735-5407
Camp Shasta:  2645 Shasta Road, Berkeley, CA 94708  510-486-0481
Bumpety Bump Art Machines: 2743 Ninth Street, Berkeley, CA 94710
 510-204-9375