[Frameworks] what 16mm stocks are you shooting & where are you getting them?

Andrew Skalak andrew.skalak at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 23:15:04 UTC 2020

I buy direct from Kodak. Reel Good Film in LA is the only place left for
short ends in the US, but the market for 16mm short ends has completely
dried up. They generally have a lot of 35mm though. Sometimes you can find
weird old stocks on eBay, but really, I have not enjoyed the muddy noise of
old high speed 16mm stocks for my process. I got a bunch of very
questionable 7274 Vision 200T that I shot rated as 50T, which I enjoyed the
results of. All the Kodak Vision 3 stocks are really incredible. I believe
that most people just shoot 500T, as the grain is acceptable and it can be
shot in all conditions. I like to shoot 50D and 200T in my Bolex, as it
allows me to shoot at a wider aperture without much filtration, which makes
for much easier operation through that dark eyepiece.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 4:53 PM Eric Theise <erictheise at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Writing from San Francisco where, once upon a time, one could walk into
> Action Camera (RIP ~2013) or Adolph Gasser's (RIP 2017) and walk out with a
> 100 ft spool of camera stock. In recent years I've been digging old stocks
> out of my fridge to shoot but I'm wondering what're the most economical
> options for acquiring fresh film these days?
>
> Film Photography Project (https://filmphotographyproject.com/) certainly
> ranks high in Google searches.
>
> & what 16mm stocks are you enthusiastic about these days?
>
> Thanks, Eric

(563) 210-3321
Cinematographer, Filmmaker - Chicago, IL
Cinematography Reel <https://vimeo.com/282369276/4ccebdbc30>
www.andrewskalak.com