[Frameworks] Advice on archival workflow and hardware for Super 8 and 16mm

Rick Prelinger footage at panix.com
Tue Apr 6 15:17:07 UTC 2021

While it is certainly oversampling, we have found that the Scanstation makes much better scans from 8 and S8 in 4K as opposed to 2K. If you are talking about a small collection it will fit on a single drive. We keep three copies in different locations. And I echo the thought that scanning is not a one-time affair; there will always be reasons why one wants to go back and rescan in the future, especially as sensors become able to capture elements of the image that contain visual or other information.

Rick

Rick Prelinger / @footage
Prelinger Archives, San Francisco    http://www.prelinger.com (recently updated)
footage at panix.com

Chair and Professor, Film & Digital Media, UC Santa Cruz
Kenneth R. Corday Family Presidential Chair in Writing for Television & Film
rick at ucsc.edu

Prelinger Library, San Francisco (http://www.prelingerlibrary.org), a member of the Intersection Incubator, a program of Intersection for the Arts providing fiscal sponsorship, incubation and consulting to artists (http://www.theintersection.org).