[Frameworks] Film production courses for installation and expanded cinema?

Joel Schlemowitz joel at joelschlemowitz.com
Tue Dec 14 23:15:28 UTC 2021

Fellow frameworkers,

For those of you who teach filmmaking, I’m curious to know if you cover the
making of film/video installation works to be shown in a gallery setting,
or the creation of expanded cinema projection-performance work in any of
your courses?

Is it an option within a more general filmmaking course, where students
might choose this for a final presentation of work? Or perhaps a more
specialized course, where all of the students make moving image
installation pieces?

I ask this because of some technical resources I’m preparing, and I’m
curious to know the degree to which gallery work is being created as part
of a film curriculum (or filmmaking is incorporated into a fine arts
program, as the case may be).

Please feel free to write me off the list if you so choose, or share your
response if you think it may be of interest to others here. Thanks.

Best,

Joel Schlemowitz

Part-Time Associate Professor

School of Media Studies, The New School