[Frameworks] Film production courses for installation and expanded cinema?

FrameWorks Admin frameworks at re-voir.com
Wed Dec 15 02:02:31 UTC 2021

Dear Joel, interesting question.

I teach experimental film and also interactive media and I encourage students to try making film installations or video installations or performances using film/video and I have had a couple of good experiences (one student painted on the screen on which she was projecting while being interviewed live about the process by a recorded interviewer on a second screen; one student presented as a final film a pair of sneakers he was wearing on which he had painted patterns with special invisible paint that protects them from discoloration explaining that over the next year the image would appear as he wore them out; another projected QR codes on several screens that the audience would use to trigger different images on their own phones; another projected super-8 and video on screens at different angles, etc). Most students however take the easy way out and just make a quick video, something abstract or “personal.”

This is a film department in the art college of a Buddhist university. Most students want to learn a skill to get a career in the film industry or else to become a director. Only a few are serious about a career as an experimental filmmaker or a gallery artist. The department provides classes in film history and theory, production, and experimental film/video and is known as a traditional film school with a reputation of being one of the top three in the country (Dongguk University, South Korea). In the same art college courses are also offered in painting, sculpture, photography and theatre, and there is some exchange between those students too.

All the best,
Pip Chodorov