[Frameworks] Film production courses for installation and expanded cinema?

Beebe, Roger W. beebe.77 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 16 18:38:36 UTC 2021

Joel,

I taught an expanded cinema class several years ago, and as part of that course we had both theatrical events and a student gallery show.  I gave them readings from Incite #4—I remember the Recoder/Gibson thing seemed to open up some possibilities for them.  I challenged them to think about the difference of the white cube from the black box—thinking about the different way time works, questions about sound, etc.  Almost all of the students were film (rather than art) students, so for a lot of them it was a real challenge to make work for installation, but I still felt like there were a handful of really interesting projects that came out of that general challenge.

Best,
Roger