[Frameworks] Gamestop Kodak?

Mike Morris m_alex_morris at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 08:32:19 UTC 2021

Hello frameworks folks.
So, I haven't contributed to this listserv in a while, but there's something that's been rattling around in my head for a few weeks, and I've been meaning to do some research about if/how this would work or not, but the ongoing Gamestop stock controversy makes me think I should throw it out there:
Has anyone previously proposed filmmakers invested in celluloid filmmaking collectively purchase Kodak stock so that a voting block could be formed to vote to have the company prioritize film production? I don't actually know if this is possible or if there are enough of us to pull something like that off, but maybe there is someone here who knows a bit more about how stocks work that could provide some insight? I've held a small amount of Kodak stock in my (meager) retirement fund for a little while, and have wondered what involvement in the company this might look like.

Normally even thinking about wallstreet makes my skin crwl, but if nothing else, the Gamestop story suggests involvement with stocks might be an interesting avenue for activism. Reminds me of when Occupy was purchasing people's debt and canceling it.

Any thoughts?
Mike MorrisDallas, Texas / Cairo, Egypt