[Frameworks] Film language forests

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Sat Oct 9 14:46:29 UTC 2021

Hello Shumona,

A few recommendations, some of which are canonical so you may already know of them, or have already had them recommended to you:

Reassemblage (Trinh T. Minh-ha, 1982); also, her Naked Spaces: Living is Round (1985)

Les maîtres fous (Jean Rouch, 1955)

River Rites (Ben Russell, 2011)

Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti (Maya Deren, 1954)

Leviathan (Lucien Castaing-Taylor, 2012)

Las Hurdes: Land Without Bread (Luis Bunuel, 1933)

Your Day is My Night (Lynne Sachs, 2013)

Hide and Seek (Su Friedrich, 1996)

Poto and Cabengo (Jean-Pierre Gorin, 1980)

Unsere Afrikareise (Peter Kubelka, 1966)

George Kuchar’s weather diaries

A lot of these are legitimately available on DVD, and many of those that aren’t (and several that are) can be glimpsed on YouTube and the like.

Best,
Jonathan

> On Oct 9, 2021, at 12:50 AM, Shumona Goel <shumonagoel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Friends,
>
> Would anyone be able to recommend experimental ethnographic films for me to watch? I am open to all suggestions!
>
> Warmly,
> Shumona

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor