[Frameworks] Film and etching

Eric Theise erictheise at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 11:05:26 CDT 2022

Hi Jonathan,

One approach to etching and film, which I may be the sole practitioner of,
is to print etchings onto very fine Japanese papers and then to contact
print the etchings, as a negative, to print stock. I did this using soft
ground etchings, a long sheet of glass mounted over a fluorescent light
tube, and strips of mat board used to hold the stock, paper, and gels in
place during a flashed exposure. There's a more detailed description
on the *Hojas
de Maíz <https://erictheise.com/films/hojas-de-maiz/> *page on my website.

Not exactly what you're looking for as the etching is separate from the
filming but it does preserve and take advantage of the textures inherent in
intaglio printmaking – qualities of line, shading given by aquatint – plus
the fibers of the paper itself.

Eric