[Frameworks] Creative crisis in experimental cinema

Albert Alcoz albertalcoz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 07:37:37 UTC 2022

Hello Frameworkers,

Thinking about the work "No Film" by Kurt Kren I was wondering if there are
some other films about creative crisis related to experimental cinema or
artists' videos.

*It was a time when I was desperately unhappy that I wasn’t really doing
anything, no more films. Wilhelm and Birgit Hein once took a photograph
from a newspaper, saying that, although the image doesn’t move on the
screen, it’s still film. I shot a few words – “No Film” – which don’t move
either but are a film just the same. And so: no film. Question mark.* (Kurt
Kren) https://kurtkren.info/films-1977-96

In auteur cinema it is easy to think of titles like *8½* by Fellini. And in
cinema focused on literature there are dozens of titles like *Barton Fink*
or *Adaptation* to give two examples.

But what about avant-garde cinema and experimental film?
Any suggestion will be appreciated .

Best,

Albert Alcoz
http://albertalcoz.com/ <http://www.albertalcoz.com/>