[Frameworks] eco-bleach effective when tinting/toning? (Sarah Bliss)

Robert Schaller robert at ontosmedia.com
Thu Mar 3 03:43:05 UTC 2022

Hi Sarah,

The classic re-halogenating bleach is  the Ferricyanide bleach, which contains Potassium Bromide. Ferricyanide bleach turns the black silver image back into silver bromide, which then is what the toner acts on.  Peroxide or R9 Dichromate bleach remove the silver image altogether, leaving nothing for the toner to act on.  Though, if it was film you just shot, you could process it as reversal, but just put it through the first developer and a peroxide bleach, then tone it instead of (or in addition to, but before)  the second developer.  I've never tried that, but it seems like there's room to explore there!

I meant that the peroxide eco-bleach wouldn't work as a replacement for Ferricyanide bleach in toning an already finished image: the two bleaches are both called bleaches, but they do entirely different things and are not interchangeable!

-Robert