[Frameworks] Avant-Garde cinema and war

Kornelia Boczkowska kornelia.boczkowska at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 21:09:40 UTC 2022

Daniel Reeves’ Smothering Dreams (1981)

John Smith’s Hotel Diaries (2001-2007)

Also (though the war is not the main focus of these films):

Lynne Sachs’ Which Way is East: Notebooks from Vietnam (1994, made in
collaboration with Dana Sachs) reflects on the historical trauma and
memories associated with the Vietnam war

Martha Rosler’s Secrets from the Street: No Disclosure (1980) critiques
(among many other things) covert war and the U.S. presence and military
involvement in Central America

Kornelia

W dniu 14.11.2022 o 21:45, Rob Gawthrop pisze:
> Two films in anticipation of the 2nd World war were: Hell Unlimited by
> Helen Biggar & Norman McLaren;  and Peace & Plenty by Ivor Montagu.
>
> There was a film shot during the first Gulf War of a family watching
> the news of the war on  TV as the bombing was taking place outside
> their home.  I wish I knew more about it., does anyone on the list know?
>
> Rob
>
>> On 14 Nov 2022, at 19:38, Albert Alcoz <albertalcoz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> In avant-garde cinema and video art it seems that the representation
>> of war is a minor issue. Compared to the relevance of war movies in
>> industrial cinema, it seems that experimental filmmakers and
>> videoartists have barely dealt with war conflicts. Even so, I have
>> found a list of titles that dismantle the conventional
>> representations of war cinema or that propose unusual ways of
>> approaching it, mainly through found footage.
>>
>> Do other titles come to mind that complement the list below?
>>
>> PAUL SHARITS Piece Mandala / End War (1966)
>> STAN BRAKHAGE23rd Psalm Branch: Part I (1967)
>> BRUCE CONNERCrossroads (1976)
>> THE DUVET BROTHERSWar Machine (1984)
>> JOSU REKALDESin imágenes (1994)
>> BARBARA HAMMEROur Grief Is Not a Cry for War (2001)
>> HARUN FAROCKIWar at a Distance (2003)
>> HARUN FAROCKISerious Games I (2010)
>> BIRGIT HEINKriegsbilder (Images of War) (2006)
>> AERNOUT MIKRaw Footage (2006)
>> TONI SERRA / ABU ALI The Job (2010)
>> Do you know any relevant text on the subject besides /War and
>> Cinema/ by Paul Virilio?
>> Any suggestion will be appreciated.
>>
>> Best,
>> Albert Alcoz
>> --
>> http://albertalcoz.com/
>> --

Kornelia Boczkowska, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Studies in Culture
Faculty of English | Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kornelia_Boczkowska
https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0875-9209