[Frameworks] Avant-Garde cinema and war

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Nov 16 01:10:53 UTC 2022

Hi Esther,

Thank you for this. I have about a yard of films on a shelf at the Coop -
they're basically deadwood. I'm trying to get them to NYU - if they'll
take them (they were made in the 70s for the most part and they have
archives of my other work), and that seems stalled at the moment. They're
all originals - i.e. I never made prints (never had the money for that and
didn't receive grants for my filmwork, but for other things); the
originals were shown. They were originally handled in San Francisco, but
changed policy re: originals. Anyway, they'll probably disappear at this
point; I have no money for dupes or transfers. Someone might be able to
see them on a flatbed if they also had splicing tape. I'm not happy about
this, but it's the situation. I was teaching media etc. at UCLA for two
years and for the first, made a film (silent or sound, mostly 16mm) a
week, following on my interest in the silent film studios. Ranged from 3
min. to an hour. An interesting project, but the films might well be a
wreck now and I have no money to revive them. I'll follow through on the
urls you have below, really curious, and thank you!

Best, Alan