[Frameworks] Color separation experiment

John Davis 0johndavis0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 17:05:44 UTC 2023

Hello Frameworkers,

I am collaborating with, and writing on behalf of a friend who wants to
make a film using Ektachrome that will attempt to create a motion/color
separation effect. Here are her words:

"I am seeking advice for shooting a three color separation in 16mm with
Ektachrome color reversal film.

The film will document three fixed-position nearly identical ice blocks
with embedded plant materials. I plan to shoot on the same film reels doing
three consecutive passes, each pass documenting the three ice blocks as
they disintegrate. Using an Intervalometer for time-lapse, I am thinking I
would need to use three different filters/gels to isolate the colors for
each pass as the ice melts and the trapped matter/water fall out of
alignment. Any advice/experience with a process like this would be much
appreciated.

Some questions are:

1. What RGB gels/filters would be recommended to filter out corresponding
colors and produce the positive RGB color separation effect?

2. As Ektachrome is a reversal film, would I use the complementary filters
for red (cyan), green (magenta) and blue (yellow)? Or should I be doing the
opposite?

With the understanding there will need to be light tests, etc, any
additional advice on aperture compensation relative to a triple exposure
(with gels) would be much appreciated."

Sincerely,

John Davis