[Frameworks] THE SUPER EIGHTIES: Super Eight Films from the 1980's

Tara Nelson brendamerenda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 22:16:50 CDT 2012

Hello Frameworks!

I am curating a show of Super 8 films from the 1980's here in Boston on
April 14th.  I will be showing mostly prints and originals, and only a few
films on DVD (Anne Robertson and Peggy Ahwesh).  After the screening we
will turn the gallery into a dance floor, and Luther Price will guest DJ,
and spin a few of his favorite records from the 1980's.

This show is PART 1 in my SUPER EIGHT SCREENING SERIES.
My sincere thanks to the participating filmmakers!

I hope to meet a few of you there!

Tara Merenda Nelson

DESCRIPTION

*THE SUPER EIGHTIES*

*Super 8 Films from the 1980’s*

*Curated by Tara Merenda Nelson*

*Contact: 412‐512‐2553*

*tara at Taranelsonfilms.com*

*Saturday, April 14, 2012*

*SPECTACLE gallery*

*128 Brookside Ave in Jamaica Plain*

*LIVE DJ DANCE PARTY after the screening!*

*$8*

*Featuring films by: Saul Levine, Ericka Beckman, Tom Roades, Anne
Robertson,*

*FASTWURMS, Joe Gibbons, Peggy Ahwesh, Jennifer Montgomery, Eldon Garnet,
Edie*

*Steiner and more!*

*The decade of the 1980’s was a transformative era for Super‐8 filmmaking,
as the*

*format migrated from point‐and‐shoot home movies to a medium for artists
working in*

*the moving image. Many filmmakers began their careers working in Super 8,
using*

*second‐hand cameras and Kodachrome film bought and processed at the local*

*drugstore. In most major cities, film labs were ready to process and print
Super‐8 films*

*for distribution. Super‐8 sound film was readily available and frequently
used, giving the*

*format a voice and adding great depth to many films made during the era*

*The cultural audacity of the decade was well documented by filmmakers, who
used*

*Super‐8 to bear witness to, and comment upon, the era. Music, fashion,
media and pop*

*culture strongly influenced the work of many artists, as they explored
issues of identity*

*in an age of abundance. This confluence of technology and aesthetics
resulted in a*

*radical film movement.*

*Despite the popularity of the medium, the last Super‐8 camera was
manufactured in the*

*late 1980’s, and the rest is history.*

*THE SUPER EIGHTIES celebrates films made between the peak and the
precipice of a*

*unique era in Super‐8 filmmaking.*

*The screening will be followed by a live DJ dance party!!!*

*Curator Tara Merenda Nelson is a Boston based filmmaker and teacher.*

*Taranelsonfilms.com*