[Frameworks] query for those who teach filmmaking

Chris Freeman christopherbriggsfreeman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 23:11:56 UTC 2014

I disagree with $4000.  A 21" iMac - what a school would likely be running
Final Cut on - starts at $1299.  I assume there are bulk discounts for
schools, but they likely already have the computers.

I'm not a teacher, but I graduated four years ago and kept in touch with
teachers at my old school.  They bit the bullet and upgraded to FCPX in
2012.  The teachers I've kept in touch with say it's easier to deal with
and to teach it compared to old Final Cut.  For example, if you've got 20
students using 20 different cameras, plus appropriated footage from the
web, FCPX is more likely to be able to deal with all of those file types -
so there's less MPEG Streamclip or Compressor converting and fewer fires to
put out in class.  I've also heard the interface is more intuitive to
students coming from iMovie or who have no video editing experience.