[Frameworks] Advice on archival workflow and hardware for Super 8 and 16mm

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Tue Apr 6 13:01:54 UTC 2021

Hmm... what kind of martial arts?  My wife is fighting with DVD prep for
karate videos right now.

The first thing is that the price differential for 4k scans vs 2k scans is
not all that great, but the data storage becomes much more of a problem in
the long run.  For super-8 I would suspect it would be hard to find 2k
scans.  As it is, it's hard enough to find someone with a scanner that is
set up to do reversal properly and get decent shadow detail in reversal
originals.  Especially Kodachrome where there is a lot of detail down
there that you don't want to lose.  Gamma-Ray Digital might be worth asking.
Bono Film also.  Send a test to a couple of shops and compare what you get
back.  Get the largest color space possible and if you are offered the option
to get HDR transfers to get more shadow detail, do it.

But as far as long-term storage of the digital files go, that is really an
unsolved problem.  I suggest storing it in three or four different ways...
keep some on online storage, store some on tape, etc. and hope that one of
the ways you selected turns out to be reliable.  I would also make sure the
original materials are properly stored because they may outlive the digital
transfers.  Or there may be some new process to get more detail out of the
originals someday.
--scott