[Frameworks] Mekas and video

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Sat Apr 16 14:54:17 CDT 2022

Hi again Jared,

Another stroll through the Vasulka archive, and a few other places, reveals exactly what you said - it really did stick with Woody. He repeats it over and over! When Jonas said it, or even whether he really did say it, seems less important than the fact that it was something Woody repeatedly invoked. I think an “as quoted in” endnote would be fine, since it sounds like you’ve done your due diligence in trying to find the original.

I assume you’ve looked in Mekas’s Movie Journal columns - it sounds like the sort of thing he might have written there.

Best,
JW

> On Apr 16, 2022, at 3:28 PM, jared ashburn <ashburn.jared at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you Jonathan and Chris! Yes, exactly, I am working from the same documents. That comment really stuck with Woody through the years as it seems that he's the only one who ever referenced it—maybe he made it up! I feel like I should cite the source but it's not looking like a possibility so I guess I'll go with one of these documents. Would you explain in an endnote that the original source can't be found and say something like "as quoted in" or just let it be?
>
> Thank you both!
>
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 2:00 PM Christine Hill <chill at calarts.edu <mailto:chill at calarts.edu>> wrote:
> http://www.vasulka.org/archive/5-9/Timeouts(5151).pdf <http://www.vasulka.org/archive/5-9/Timeouts(5151).pdf>
>
> chris
>
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 11:11 AM jared ashburn <ashburn.jared at gmail.com <mailto:ashburn.jared at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hello Frameworkers,
>
> I am looking for a citation for Jonas Mekas' description of people involved in the first decade of video experimentation that he made in print sometime in the late 60s. He refers to them as "the tribe that worships electricity." Can someone point me to the source?
>
> Thanks,
> Jared

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor