[Frameworks] This Week in Avant Garde Cinema: January 21 - 29, 2023

This Week thisweek.in.avantgardecinema at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 18:22:08 UTC 2023

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/fc17da2e51eb/this-week-in-avant-garde-cinema-10274357?e=857b71a9cb>

*This Week [January 21 - 29, 2023] in Avant Garde Cinema*

To receive the weekly listing directly via email rather than through
Frameworks, just hit Subscribe
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=091193278b&e=857b71a9cb>
.

*DEADLINES APPROACHING*
**** Enter upcoming calls for entry here
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=5d92ca63e7&e=857b71a9cb>
****
*sorted by submission deadline*
Ongoing Films for Ukrainian Border Crossings
<bccffpoland at gmail.com?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes%0a?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes%20?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes>
(No Dialogue + PG)
01.24.2023 VSW Handmade Film Workshop
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=eb77c4d342&e=857b71a9cb>
01.31.2023 Laterale Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=96128ced2f&e=857b71a9cb>
(Fourth Deadline)
01.31.2023 Crossroads
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=cb570153a6&e=857b71a9cb>
01.31.2023 FENDA – Experimental Festival of Film Arts
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=56438bb592&e=857b71a9cb>
02.01.2023 Milwaukee Underground Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=05ae5b7796&e=857b71a9cb>
02.01.2023 International Short Film Festival Oberhausen
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=8a6cdb0b60&e=857b71a9cb>
02.01.2023 Chicago Underground Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e456b42a33&e=857b71a9cb>
(Early Deadline)
02.01.2023 Winnipeg Underground Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=20bbc9e25f&e=857b71a9cb>
02.03.2023 Coney Island Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=ac07553a1c&e=857b71a9cb>
(Late Deadline)
02.20.2023 SIGHT/GEIST
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=63b73407e9&e=857b71a9cb>
02.22.2023 PACT Zollverein Residency
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e97195ef8c&e=857b71a9cb>
02.24.2023 Edinburgh Short Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=521bb92ac9&e=857b71a9cb>
(Early Deadline)
02.26.2023 Moviate Underground Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=46825da462&e=857b71a9cb>
02.28.2023 Braziers International Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e001569441&e=857b71a9cb>
(Regular Deadline)
03.01.2023 EXIS
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=82fd0a8113&e=857b71a9cb>
03.01.2023 Media City Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=d33d82d1b3&e=857b71a9cb>
03.01.2023 Fracto Experimental Film Encounter
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=78eeee16cb&e=857b71a9cb>
03.01.2023 Found Footage Magazine
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=f33cc703a2&e=857b71a9cb>
03.26.2023 Magmart international videoart festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=389f1a9b3d&e=857b71a9cb>
04.02.2023 VSW Project Space Residency
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=3147e9834f&e=857b71a9cb>
04.07.2023 Buffalo Int’l Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=0fc4dfc183&e=857b71a9cb>
04.09.2023 Mimesis Documentary Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=ca6a0b677d&e=857b71a9cb>
(Regular Deadline)
06.01.2023 Engauge Experimental Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=a2c7e1470a&e=857b71a9cb>

*EVENTS*
**** Enter your event announcements here
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=566b243da3&e=857b71a9cb>
****
*complicated sorting but a true attempt, enjoy!*

This week's programs (summary):

   - Jonas Mekas 100!
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=94d185ad5e&e=857b71a9cb>
[November
   1, 2021-January 25, 2023, worldwide]
   - Refresh
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=85666b64b8&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   2022 - Spring 2023, Denver, CO]
   - Jonas Mekas: A Small Table, With A Bottle of Wine, Garlic, Sausage,
   Bread
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=fbd6b0a822&e=857b71a9cb>
[Dec 8-Jan 21,
   New York, NY]
   - Soda Jerk: the Time That Remains
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=a2c3da20f7&e=857b71a9cb>
[January
   6 - February 6, online]
   - THOUSANDSUNS CINEMA
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=1058c84bc9&e=857b71a9cb>
[January
   9-30, online]
   - Alexander Hammid
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=0754e9cffa&e=857b71a9cb>
[January
   20-29, New York, NY]
   - Dominic Angerame: A Complete Retrospective (Program 1)
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=ddb60534c3&e=857b71a9cb>
[January
   21, Oakland, CA]
   - Teddy Bears and Little Friends: the Films of “Nanny" Lynn Ochberg
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=66bac3b097&e=857b71a9cb>
[January
   22, Los Angeles, CA]
   - In the Waves
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=b5d82c8405&e=857b71a9cb>
[January
   24, New York, NY]
   - Geographies of Solitude
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=32180196f5&e=857b71a9cb>
[January
   25-31, New York, NY]
   - Andy Warhol As Seen By Nelson Henricks
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=d9ddc5d6f4&e=857b71a9cb>
[January
   26-28, Montreal, QC, Canada]
   - Split Screen
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=4980ed3195&e=857b71a9cb>
[January
   27-February 25, Victoria, BC, Canada]
   - The Home videos of Nelson Sullivan!
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=f2ccfd8dfa&e=857b71a9cb>
[January
   27, Santa Fe, NM]
   - Small Notes On Small Gestures: a selection of Contemp S8 Films from
   Brazil
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=437a808dfb&e=857b71a9cb>
[January
   29, Tokyo, Japan]
   - The Long Conversation
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=fe1a7cab8b&e=857b71a9cb>
   [ongoing, online]
   - 6x6 Project: Artists' Moving Image Works
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=ae1f6f9112&e=857b71a9cb>
[ongoing,
   online]

*STARTING BEFORE JANUARY 21, 2023*

*November 1 - January 25, 2023*
Venue type: *Both physical and online*
Jonas Mekas 100!
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=da87ab0d19&e=857b71a9cb>
times and locations vary, see below
Event URL: https://jonasmekas100.com/
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=07dff92f7f&e=857b71a9cb>
*Jonas Mekas 100!*
In 2022, the world and Lithuania celebrate the life and work of Jonas
Mekas, one of the country’s most prominent cultural figures of the 20th and
21st centuries and a global cultural phenomenon in his own right,
considered by many to be the “godfather of avant-garde cinema”.

Throughout his life, Mekas always emphasized and cherished his Lithuanian
roots. After fleeing the foreign occupation of his native land, he arrived
in New York City, in his own words “at exactly the right moment”, joining
thousands of others escaping the devastation wrought by destructive
ideologies and tyrannical regimes in Europe. One might say that Mekas left
one village, his native Semeniškiai in northern Lithuania, and immersed
himself in the life of another – the Village thriving in and around lower
Manhattan, and in its landmark publication, the Village Voice, helping to
shape American and global culture so profoundly in the latter half of the
20th century.

This centennial celebration, Jonas Mekas 100!, seeks to expand global
recognition of his work and encourage a deeper exploration of Mekas’
prolific contributions to cinema, film criticism, cultural organization,
and, in particular, his body of poems and prose, now published in
Lithuanian, French, German, English, Japanese, Hebrew, and many other
languages.

The centennial program features over 50 events in an expanding list of
countries, including: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece,
Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, South Korea, Sweden, Taiwan,
Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The vast scope of
Mekas’ contribution to global cultural is examined through film screenings
and retrospectives, exhibitions, readings, workshops, new publications and
translations of Mekas’ writings, and concerts celebrating the spirit of his
work, among other events.

The centennial program is a joint international collaboration between
leading art and cinema organisations, curators, publishers, the global
network of Lithuanian cultural attachés, the Estate of Jonas Mekas, and the
Lithuanian Culture Institute.

*___________________________________________________________________*

*March 2022 - Spring 2023*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=f14bf7c15c&e=857b71a9cb>
open during Museum hours,
The Summit Stage and Expedition Health, Denver Museum of Nature & Science,
2001 Colorado Blvd, Denver, CO
*REFRESH: *CYANOBACTERIA OFFER PERSPECTIVE ON OURSELVES
This art-science collaboration looks at the microscopic ways cyanobacteria
move, on an individual level and in colonies. If we study these organisms
and their varied forms, we might discover ways to improve our future.

On display at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science in the Summit Stage and
Expedition Health, March 2022 - Fall 2022

The cells in your body take in oxygen and sweep out waste products like
carbon dioxide (CO2). Microscopic cyanobacteria use photosynthesis to work
in reverse, breathing in CO2 and pumping out oxygen.

Three billion years ago, cyanobacteria created Earth’s oxygenfilled
atmosphere, supporting the evolution of creatures like us. Today, they
provide one-quarter of the planet’s oxygen, and cyanobacteria like
spirulina provide us with food.

Researchers believe that cyanobacteria —which need only sunlight, CO2, and
water to thrive— could offer solutions to our changing climate. They might
help reduce CO2 on a grand scale, contribute to biofuel production, and
support long-term space travel. This diverse group of organisms offers a
symbolic warning as well: when colonies of cyanobacteria become too dense
or stressed, they can run out of nutrients or be destroyed by their own air
pollution.

Made with the collaborative efforts of filmmaker Erin Espelie and the
Jeffrey Cameron Laboratory at the University of Colorado Boulder, which
created a customized microscope system specifically tailored for long-term
growth and quantitative imaging of cyanobacterial cells; with special
thanks to microbiologist and cinematographer Evan Johnson and artists Nima
Bahrehmand, Travis Austin, Will Alstetter, as well as NEST Studio for the
Arts.
*___________________________________________________________________*

*December 8 - January 21*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Microscope Gallery
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=941ade63fd&e=857b71a9cb>
12:00-6:00pm ET,
525 West 29th Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10001
*Jonas Mekas: A small table, with a bottle of wine, garlic, sausage, bread*
“A small table with a bottle of wine, garlic, sausage, bread,” a solo
exhibition of works by Jonas Mekas, opening on December 8 and taking place
in connection with 100th anniversary of his birth on December 24, 1922.

“A small table with a bottle of wine, garlic, sausage, bread" features
Mekas’ final work *Requiem* (2019), an 84-minute video piece that, after
its debut as part of a live visual/orchestral performance at The Shed in
2019, is being exhibited for the first time in its final single-channel
video form. Additionally, the show includes a selection of the artist's
4-channel video installations, know as “quartets,” as well as
multi-projector 35mm slide, sound, and photographic installations made
between 2000 and 2018 — most of which have rarely, if ever, been presented
in the United States.

Associated events will also be taking place during the course of the
exhibit.

*___________________________________________________________________*

*January 6 - February 6*
Venue type: *Virtual, online event*
VISIONS
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=ab58d7e30b&e=857b71a9cb>
streaming 24/7,
Event URL: https://visionsmtl.com/2023/soda-jerk-2/
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=247303d99a&e=857b71a9cb>
*SODA JERK: The Time That Remains*
2012 | digital | 12 mins

Dear J,

After you left the house this afternoon — we had both so much and so little
to say to each other, as if the objects around us contained our words and
we had to unlock them one by one, the way jewelery boxes of thought ready
to bring forth their miniature dancer—I was seized with a sudden melancholy
(for lack of a better word to describe the calm nervous breakdown that
gripped me). The prospect of seeing you again terrified me. Because after
all that we have shared, made shine, passionately sabotaged, in short,
after all that we have lived leaning against each other, and here we are
catapulted out of ourselves and yet perhaps more than ever in- inside of
us, something was said in me without formulating it clearly that we would
inevitably miss this reunion imposed by others. Did I just want to see you
again? You must have grimaced when M. proposed this meeting to you.

The prospect of seeing you again terrified me, I was just telling you, and
this manifested itself in the dreams of the previous night, dreams during
which frayed images formed an atmosphere where you were going, alternately
shimmering and shimmering. Who were you, who was I, these images asked, who
were we to each other, to each other, what was the distance that was
intrinsically part of our relationship, this intimacy- there, this
detestation of love, this hinge, this fold through which we articulated
ourselves on both sides of closed doors and our broken lives at the work of
appearing without common measure?

So you were there and not quite there. You were beautiful and then I
watched you being beautiful and you yourself watching me, only I was
elsewhere than within beauty, elsewhere than beautiful yes, that I knew,
from the now familiar sensation of my more more porous and to the
ever-surprised vision of my own weathered face, no longer belonging to
myself and yet welcoming all the strata of this I no longer am and then am
by the desiring force of oblivion. And the dream, made of an image of a
ball, of a marvelous dress, of curly hair falling in a cascade, image of
you archaic and new, image of a waltz by Chopin, of a sea evoking the
density of a psalm, conveyed a traversed and traversing duration, an idea
of you and of me. From my dream emanated the affinity emerging from the
vitality of our antagonism, I cannot tell you exactly how, since they were
only old images projected by the mind which sleeps and fears the next day,
but yes the affinity and split were expressed in the same way, like a
wavering, a given meaning, the indifference of the setting sun.

In the morning, I got up as if accomplished in a train station. After all
these years, you would soon be here, as we began our disappearance and this
disappearance became the new surface, the new support of our being. I was
about to welcome you into this detachment, into this impalpable transit
where I felt you, still erotic and hot with anger, I was about to see you
and say hello to you ironically.

You were there, in front of me, with your make-up that fools no one, your
buried beauty, your sulky lips but worked at the same time by a subtle
smile with an impossible to define spring. We disdainfully drank tea with
these people who framed us and this pan of fatalism hanging on your blink,
hanging on the closing of your incredibly long eyelids behind which I knew
you knew all the material of our battles against the world.

This afternoon, you were once again this other against whom I sought
headlong to define myself and impose an image, this creature to swallow, to
engulf like food. We pretty much said the things they expected, those
barking dogs. And that was suddenly all. The door, with its people, your
presence, its uproar, has closed. You were well and truly gone this time.
And I immediately noticed a flicker, at the source of the intranquility
that makes me take paper and pencil.

I write to you as to myself, to this other that I have become, similar to
what you have always been in the hollow of my angular heart and who lives a
little through your own memories whose exact content I do not know, but
within which I know I exist. I am writing to you through various accents,
through the ages that we have had, alone and together, and from this
station from where I would like to wish you good continuation, good
disappearance, dear... wish you a beautiful death like sea, a beautiful
death like your eyebrows.

Friendships,
B.

*___________________________________________________________________*

*January 9 - 30*
Venue type: *Virtual, online event*
Media City Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=466cf69fee&e=857b71a9cb>
streaming 24/7,
Event URL: https://mediacityfilmfestival.com/thousandsuns-cinema/
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=ec1fed61b4&e=857b71a9cb>
*THOUSANDSUNS CINEMA*
60+ FILMS BY INDIGENOUS ARTISTS FROM TURTLE ISLAND AND AROUND THE WORLD,
PRESENTED WITH COUSIN COLLECTIVE

THOUSANDSUNS CINEMA animates aspects of Media City Film Festival’s
long-storied program history online. Featuring selections from hundreds of
artists showcased by MCFF over its twenty-five year history, THOUSANDSUNS
presents short and feature-length films, previous MCFF commissions,
fellowship screenings, retrospectives, and other cinematic endeavours
connected with our activities since 1994. Moving image artworks exhibited
in THOUSANDSUNS CINEMA will screen for a limited time. Conceived as a
working space, THOUSANDSUNS will also function as an ever-growing online
index, cataloguing artists operating in avant-garde film circles
internationally. As MCFF works to migrate its immense history of previously
screened filmmakers online, new artists will also be invited to exhibit
their work.

*___________________________________________________________________*

*January 20 - 29*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Anthology Film Archives
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=f527fcf366&e=857b71a9cb>
times vary,
see below, 32 Second Avenue, New York, NY
*ALEXANDER HAMMID*
Alexander Hammid (born Alexandr Hackenschmied in Linz, Austria-Hungary, in
1907 and raised in Prague) is best known in avant-garde cinema circles for
his collaborations with his then-partner Maya Deren, and above all for his
role in making *MESHES OF THE AFTERNOON* (1943), which remains one of the
most extraordinary and influential films in the history of American
filmmaking. Hammid’s career, however, extends far beyond his partnership
with Deren, and is in fact an astonishingly wide-ranging and accomplished
body of work, spanning nearly half a century and touching on almost every
genre and category of film imaginable.

This retrospective explores every chapter in his rich and constantly
morphing career: the pioneering experimental films he made in
Czechoslovakia before emigrating to the U.S. during the war; his
collaborations with Deren; his work making political documentaries with the
filmmaker Herbert Kline in the early years of WWII; the propagandistic
films commissioned by the United States Office of War Information; the
sponsored films about social behavior made for Affiliated Film Producers;
his numerous collaborations with artists, dancers, and musicians; and the
films that emerged from his partnership in the 1960s-70s with Francis
Thompson, which were produced for the 1964 New York World’s Fair, the 1967
Montreal Expo, and for the inauguration of the National Air and Space
Museum (1976’s T*O FLY!*, for which the pair helped develop the new IMAX
70mm film format). The series features several works preserved in
Anthology’s collection, including a brand-new 16mm print of *THE PRIVATE
LIFE OF A CAT* (1944).

“Because [Hammid’s vision] is a wonderful combination of formalist and
humanist tendencies, it gives his work a terrible lyricism. He is incapable
of sentimentality because of his terrific sense of form; and he is
incapable of formalism because of a profoundly childlike love of things and
tenderness. Consequently you get a terrifically high pitch of lyricism in
its most out-of-the-world form…like the best of the fairy-tales, or like an
unaccompanied improvisation on a flute. I speak of him because he never
speaks much, having an almost purely visual mind.” –Maya Deren, letter to
Herbert Passin, 1943

Special thanks to Julia Hammid; Carmel Curtis (Indiana University Libraries
Moving Image Archive); Skip Elsheimer (A/V Geeks); Tina Harvey, Paul Gordon
& Douglas Smalley (Library and Archives Canada); Martina Kudlácek; Giovanna
Pugliese (NYPL); Jeffrey Schissler (SC Johnson); Katie Trainor (MoMA);
Gerald Weber (Sixpack); and Todd Wiener & Steven Hill (UCLA Film &
Television Archive).
  Upcoming Screenings EARLY SHORT FILMS: ALEXANDER HAMMID
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=2a54a2b8dc&e=857b71a9cb>
January 20 at 7:00 PM
January 25 at 7:00 PM
January 28 at 9:00 PM

Herbert Kline, Alexander Hammid & Hans Burger
CRISIS: A FILM OF “THE NAZI WAY”
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=8c50f345c0&e=857b71a9cb>
January 21 at 5:00 PM
January 26 at 6:30 PM

Herbert Kline
LIGHTS OUT IN EUROPE
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=4fdafae920&e=857b71a9cb>
January 21 at 7:15 PM
January 25 at 9:00 PM

Herbert Kline & Alexander Hammid
THE FORGOTTEN VILLAGE
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=d30bc8ba8f&e=857b71a9cb>
January 21 at 9:00 PM
January 28 at 7:00 PM

Martina Kudláček
AIMLESS WALK – ALEXANDER HAMMID
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=256142894a&e=857b71a9cb>
January 22 at 4:45 PM
January 29 at 8:30 PM

OFFICE OF WAR INFORMATION: ALEXANDER HAMMID
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=4f835ef205&e=857b71a9cb>
January 22 at 6:30 PM
January 28 at 4:45 PM

AFFILIATED FILM PRODUCERS: ALEXANDER HAMMID
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=1a39fe33c1&e=857b71a9cb>
January 22 at 8:30 PM
January 29 at 4:00 PM

THE ARTS: ALEXANDER HAMMID
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=43627e9bd2&e=857b71a9cb>
January 23 at 7:00 PM
January 26 at 8:45 PM

Gian Carlo Menotti
THE MEDIUM
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=92509cf1f1&e=857b71a9cb>
January 23 at 9:00 PM
January 29 at 6:00 PM

TO THE FAIR: HAMMID & THOMPSON
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=f4c2378dca&e=857b71a9cb>
January 24 at 7:30 PM
January 27 at 7:00 PM

*SATURDAY, JANUARY 21, 2023* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Shapeshifters Cinema
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=8cdd4416f7&e=857b71a9cb>
8pm, 567 5th St, Oakland, CA
*Dominic Angerame: A Complete Retrospective (Program 1)*
This program is the first in a series of monthly screenings comprising a
complete retrospective of the work of Dominic Angerame. Since 1968 Angerame
has produced more than 30 films on 16mm and several newer works in digital
format. Some of these films have never had a public screening. Many of
Angerame’s films show San Francisco, the city he has lived and worked in
since 1979, and its varying cityscape as it looks and changes over time. He
has also created short comedies, short-form documentaries and many diary
films. Angerame has taught film in many schools and universities in the Bay
Area as well as at the University of Nevada, Reno. He was Executive
Director of Canyon Cinema from 1980-2012.

This first program will include his most recent work: *Luminae* (2022),
*Khorosho* (2022), *Flashbacks* (2021), *Have Another Espresso* (2020),
*Prometheus* (2021), *Revelations* (2018), and *The Soul of Things* (2018)
with live guitar accompaniment by Kevin Barnard.

*SUNDAY, JANUARY 22, 2023* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Los Angeles Filmforum
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=374484fa44&e=857b71a9cb>
1:00 PM PST,
2220 Arts & Archives - 2220 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90057
*Teddy Bears and Little Friends: The films of “Nanny" Lynn Ochberg*
In person: James Thacher, Sam Gurry. Over Zoom: Lynn Ochberg

An internet mystery solved at last.

Thirty years ago, VHS tapes containing striking Commodore Amiga animations
started showing up at parties, micro cinemas, and living rooms across the
country. Each copy was made to satisfy the audience's thirst for more of
these narratively diverse films showcasing fairy tales, dinosaurs,
consumption, play, politics, and even the Bosnian War. Those holding their
tapes were left hungry in their pursuit of figuring out the true identity
of its creator, Nanny Lynn. In the late 2010s, renewed interest led to the
discovery of Lynn Ochberg, an Octogenarian Grandmother living in Florida
whose oeuvre of animated wonders was created for her grandchildren.

Ochberg's work contains a legato sincerity with a patient narration of the
artist herself grounding each work. Her films evoke being wrapped in the
crock of her arms, worlds unfolding with hums, both human and analog.
Ochberg's films featured her grandchildren, rendered in her surreal,
digital realism, alongside figures from her family's life, including
neighbors, doctors, and close friends. She is cited as a direct inspiration
by a generation of animators including Paperrad. While the films themselves
were never meant for widespread consumption, Lynn is delighted by the
recent interest and ongoing restoration of her work.

Filmforum is excited to showcase a program of Lynn Ochberg's animated
films. Following the program, there will be a Q&A with Ochberg and animator
James Thacher. Thacher was instrumental in discovering Nanny Lynn's true
identity and works with Ochberg to preserve and distribute her work. Notes
and Program by Sam Gurry. Thanks to James Thatcher & Lynn Ochberg.

Lynn Ochberg, born 1943 in Philadelphia, PA, grew up in the Pine Barrens of
South Jersey. She attended Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Goucher, Georgetown, and
Stanford Law. Ochberg married her husband, Frank, in 1962 and had two sons
and two daughters. Following a career in real estate, Ochberg worked in
both municipal politics and made maple syrup sold at local farmers markets
for several decades. When she lost elections, she would volunteer with the
American Red Cross disaster service, creating computer generated cartoon
stories. Outside of her work, Lynn drew, painted, and carved wooden
sculptures and furniture until the mid 1980s. Following her Mandarin
studies at Michigan State University, she studied in China where she fell
in love with silk embroidery which has comprised the bulk of her artistic
focus since then. Her hobbies include “reading history, doing water
aerobics every day, and cooking something new every night." James Thacher
is a moving image artist based in Brooklyn. He utilizes hand-made animation
techniques to explore ideas of vision, memory, and historical struggle.

*The Chartreuse Crayon Adventure*, 1994, Sound, 5m, Digital, World
Theatrical Premiere
*Teddy Bear and Little Dog go into the Woods*, 1994, Sound, 6m,
Digital, World Theatrical Premiere
*La Petite Moufette*, 1995, Sound, 6m, Digital, World Theatrical Premiere
*Jake and the Peanut Butter*, 1995, Sound, 6m, Digital, World Theatrical
Premiere
*The Story of Srebrenica*, 1996, Sound, 23m, Digital, World Theatrical
Premiere
*Alphabet Movie*, 1994, Sound, 6m, Digital, World Theatrical Premiere
*The Heavy Metal Teddy Bear*, 1994, Sound, 7.5m, Digital

Total Program Length approx. 60 minutes

*TUESDAY, JANUARY 24, 2023* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Anthology Film Archives
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=043cd59341&e=857b71a9cb>
7pm ET,
32 Second Avenue, New York, NY
*IN THE WAVES*
by Jacquelyn Mills
2017, 60 min, digital

*IN THE WAVES* is an expressive documentary that depicts the life of
80-year-old Joan Alma Mills in her aging coastal village. Following the
death of her younger sister, Joan finds herself confronted by the fragility
of life. As she tries to come to terms with her loss Joan searches for
meaning in the natural world around her. Weaving intimate thoughts with
lyrical imagery, *IN THE WAVES* was crafted by Joan’s granddaughter
Jacquelyn Mills. In essence, the film is an intergenerational love-letter,
an ebb and flow between dream and reality, past and present, a glimpse of
childhood and an encounter with the end-of-life.

“*IN THE WAVES* has a delicate, tranquil beauty, absorbing all of Cape
Breton’s natural splendor into its fluid montage.” –CINEMA SCOPE

Preceded by:

Jacquelyn Mills *FOR WENDY* 2008, 10 min, 16mm-to-digital
Inspired by true events, three children try to understand the death of
their mother through exploring nature.

Jacquelyn Mills *LEAVES* 2013, 5 min, 35mm-to-digital
A short haiku exploring the subtle intimacies between two people in their
last night together.

Jacquelyn Mills *FORGIVE HERE* 2020, 4 min, 16mm-to-digital
To forgive is to be forgiven. A 16mm film created in Northern Iceland.

Total running time: ca. 85 min.

*WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 25, 2023* *January 25 - 31*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Anthology Film Archives
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=d8da9f6693&e=857b71a9cb>
7:30pm ET each night,
32 Second Avenue, New York, NY
*GEOGRAPHIES OF SOLITUDE*
by Jacquelyn Mills
2022, 103 min, 16mm-to-DCP. Distributed by Cinema Guild.

“For the last 40 years, environmentalist and naturalist Zoe Lucas has been
living on Sable Island, a slender strip of land off the coast of Nova
Scotia, cataloguing its flora and fauna, as well as the growing amounts of
waste that wash up on its shores. Director Jacqueline Mills travels there
to follow Lucas in her everyday routine, as she wanders the island,
observes plants and insects, checks in on seals and wild horses, removes
globules of plastic from the sand. They record everything, one with paper
and pen, the other via 16mm film; everything here leaves a trace. Mills
enters into a relationship with the island too, burying film stock among
living roots or attaching microphones to the wooden frame of an abandoned
building, helping this place make sounds and images of its own, as
ravishing and resonant as all the others. So many things can be gleaned
from one small island: the gentle daily grind of science, the concurrent
isolation and interconnectedness of any space in the world, the accumulated
matter and meaning of a life’s work and a vast ecosystem, the need to make
the workings of any documentary visible. A film that never tries to hide
what it is: the blissfully organic result of an encounter.” –James
Lattimer, VIENNALE

“*GEOGRAPHIES OF SOLITUDE* shows us that conversations between artists and
scientists are uniquely poised to reveal the truths of the so-called
natural and human worlds, and that documentary methods can preserve the
wonder of a little-seen, though not entirely untouched, place.” –Esmé
Hogeveen, BOMB MAGAZINE

*THURSDAY, JANUARY 26, 2023* *January 26 - 28*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Cinémathèque québécoise
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=6cef5f92e0&e=857b71a9cb>
times vary, see below,
Cinémathèque québécoise, 335 Boul. de Maisonneuve E, Montreal, QC
*Andy Warhol as seen by Nelson Henricks*
As part of his exhibition at the MAC, artist Nelson Henricks has designed a
program of Andy Warhol film screenings in three parts which will be
presented at the Cinémathèque québécoise on January 26, 27 and 28 .

The screenings will be preceded by a presentation by Nelson Henricks and
Ara Osterweil, professor in the Department of English at McGill University,
and followed by a period of discussion with the public.

---Thursday January 26 @ 6:30pm ET---
*Outer & Inner Space* , 33 mins
*Velvet Underground in Boston* , 33 mins

---Friday January 27 @ 8:30pm ET---
*Haircut* , 24 mins
*Kiss* , 54 min

---Saturday January 28 @ 6:30pm ET---
*Mario Banana #2* , 4 min
*The Velvet Underground & Nico* , 67 min

*FRIDAY, JANUARY 27, 2023* *January 27 - February 25*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Deluge Contemporary Art
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=6b79b5acba&e=857b71a9cb>
Wed/Fri/Sat noon to 4pm PT, Thurs 1 to 5pm PT.,
Deluge Contemporary Art, 636 Yates Street, Victoria, BC, Canada
*Split Screen*
Leslie Bauer
Gwendolyn Audrey Foster
Todd Lambeth
Kate Shults

OPENING FRIDAY, JANUARY 27 @ 7PM

Split Screen is an experiment in encouraging language and conversation
between 2D (in this case painting) and media artworks while expanding
experiential possibilities for viewers. Less a situation of work coexisting
alongside other work in aid of a specific set of ideas, appositions or
overarching theme, the exhibition loosely harnesses syncopations—visual,
audial, kinetic—to imagine a larger composition within which infinite
possibilities for comprehension exist and from which infinite numbers of
questions arise, much like abstraction itself.

In Leslie Bauer’s *Fahren 7* velocity deforms our understanding of static
objects, effecting surfaces into recondite dynamic shapes. “Traffic, as
something very essential and characteristic of a particular time, is
presented as a pattern of order and a perceptible form of structuring space
and time. Locomotion makes a holistic view impossible. In the state of
movement, speed and distance determine the perception of the landscape
traversed. The road network itself is a pattern, a space-rastering
construct, which in turn offers a reservoir of patterns, images and
narratives."

Gwendolyn Audrey Foster’s film *Dada Ship* wrests itself away from the
homogeneity of the historical movement to set sail for other, queerer
shores employing disrupted stereoscopy and collaged détournement of
archival imagery.

In his paintings, Todd Lambeth has long been interested in optically
challenging unfixed areas of interest by flipping figure and ground. Like
the moving image artists in Split Screen, Lambeth understands the actions
of fracturing, splicing and splitting in order to animate lacunae between
seeing and recognition, between “this” and “that.”

Kate Shults has created a video portrait of a disaster—2017’s Hurricane
Irma—from the precarious safety of her home in inland Central Florida.
Through anticipation, impact and aftermath, *Irma* explores the fragility
of digital images and landscapes while deftly challenging the politics of
looking.

While the artists in Split Screen engage with varying approaches and
concerns, they often utilize similar techniques and processes—layering,
montage, chroma shifting and hybrid analog/digital workflows—to enrich the
vocabulary of contemporary abstraction across disparate media.

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
No Name Cinema
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=1b36306fee&e=857b71a9cb>
7pm MST,
No Name Cinema, 2013 Pinon Street, Santa Fe, NM
*The home videos of NELSON SULLIVAN!*
NNC has been working with the historian/archivists that oversee Nelson
Sullivan's archive to bring you this special selection of slice-of-life
diaristic shorts created 1983-1989. Sullivan was a visionary unsung master
of cinema vérité who used the handheld camcorder to make crucially
significant images of gay culture & life in a NYC since long lost. In 1987
RuPaul became Sullivan's roommate in the Meatpacking District, later
writing that “Nelson was our New York liaison, and he introduced us to the
city... He was our gay educator & taught us about our birthright, our
cultural inheritance. And he always supported me, no matter what.” After
having a hernia due to years of hauling the weight of a VHS camcorder
around, Sullivan switched to the lighter format of Hi8 analog video. He
began holding the camera at arm’s length & pointing it at himself, and the
focus and effect of his art changed. Dick Richards (director of Tootsie)
explains: “Nelson developed a style where he would come in & out of the
picture himself, to talk to the viewer about what was happening around
them." Viewed today, Sullivan’s video record of his life represents a
pre-Internet form of vlogging, while his frequently used technique of
turning the camera to face himself clearly anticipates the modern selfie.
However, Sullivan's meditative stay-in-the-moment approach exists in stark
contrast to the artificiality of jump cuts & the "high production value"
attempted by contemporary vloggers. In addition to video selections
detailing a trip to McDonald's in South Carolina & his mother's visit to
the World Trade Center, our program includes footage of parties hosted by
Michael Alig & the Club Kids (played by Macaulay Culkin in Party Monster),
a young RuPaul strutting the streets of the East Village in a gown made of
football shoulder pads & toilet paper, as well as Sullivan's final recorded
tape.

“He was our ambassador.” –RuPaul

*SUNDAY, JANUARY 29, 2023* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Image Forum - Japan
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=a8d826fbe6&e=857b71a9cb>
4pm,
2-10-2 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tóquio2-10-2 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tóquio
*SMALL NOTES ON SMALL GESTURES A selection of contemporary Super 8 films
from Brazil*
In a world where the Big Gestures (with a capital B and G) like going to
space are celebrated in Big Media, can a small gesture like collecting
insect corpses serve as a point of displacement? This selection of films,
made by artist-filmmakers (with lowercase a-f) from various corners of
Brazil, offers fragmented time-spaces to celebrate small gestures in situ.
A ritual call to ancestry, nature-culture appropriated/excavated from the
skull of Mother Earth, a gesture of an artist to relate to filmic support,
ephemeral reincarnation of humans and non-humans. The majority of the
works, if not all, were revealed and revived by the artists own hands
without institutional support.
All the films of the program will be projected in their original format:
super 8 film. They are unique copies due to their nature and the presence
of a projectionist is a crucial part of the experience. The program was
possible thanks to a reliable network of artists who gave it to their only
children. Super 8 was, and continues to be, the perfect format for artists
who are not committed to the commercial circuit. Unlike the larger calibers
such as the 16 mm and the 35 mm, this small format was not due to
censorship during the military dictatorship due to its amateur character
(the lowercase letters). It is pertinent to reflect on the artistic
production in super 8 in Brazil in the present day, but also with the
tenebrous presence of the Grandes Medios y Potencias del Capital.

*Revém Natura* - Ж - 7’ -s8 double-projection - silent - 2013
*A Film is a Battleground* - Nikolas Candido - 5' - s8 single-projection -
digital sound - 2022
*Dedentro* - Mateus Rosa - 3’ - s8 single projection - digital sound - 2018
*Visita ao Museu / Visit to the museum* - Lígia Teixeira & Francisco
Benvenuto - 4’ - s8 single projection - digital sound -2021
*Véu II / Veil II* - Rodrigo Faustini - 3’ - BW s8 single projection -
digital sound - 2022
*Ressucita-me / Resurrect Me* - Coletivo Atos da Mooca - 6’ - s8 single
projection - digital sound - 2017
*Metamorphosis of Narcissus or an Onion On the Head* - Duo Strangloscope &
Ángel Rueda - 4’ - s8 double-projection -silent - 2016
*Confined Flux* - Helder Martinovsky - 3’ - s8 single projection - digital
sound - 2022
*Ode to Young People* - Natália Poli - 3’ - s8 single projection- digital
sound - 2022
*ANTFILM* - Tetsuya Maruyama - 2’ - s8 single projection - magnetic sound
on film- 2021

*ONGOING*

Venue type: *Virtual, online event*
Riverwest Radio
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=98485016e6&e=857b71a9cb>
streaming 24/7
*THE LONG CONVERSATION*
THE LONG CONVERSATION with Xav Leplae and Stephanie Barber is on indefinite
hold. But... all episodes from the last year and a half are streaming!!!

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Virtual, online event*
6x6 Project
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=9b19fc36a7&e=857b71a9cb>
streaming 24/7
*Artists' Moving Image Works*
6x6 project is an online artists' community that serves as a platform for
disseminating artists' moving image works, and to create
an ever-growing network among peers.

There are now more than four hundred artists’ film and moving image works
available to view on the website.

------------------------------

*Let us know about your alternative film/video event!*

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=ab2910f583&e=857b71a9cb>
.

To receive the weekly listing directly via email rather than through
Frameworks, just hit Subscribe
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=091193278b&e=857b71a9cb>
.

*Copyright © 2020 Flicker, All rights reserved.*
Longtime recipient of This Week in Avant Garde Cinema

This Week in Avant Garde Cinema · everywhere · Cincinnati, OH 45201 · USA